<VV> Flywheel and Clutch bolts

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon May 26 22:34:54 EDT 2014

The bolts that hold the standard Corvair flywheel (or the Corvair flex
plate) are 11/32" x 24 thread - Many folks have re-threaded the crank them to
3/8"-24, (as on my race car) but standard is a special 11/32"-24 thread. The
 bolts, either the ones for the PG flexplate (short) or the flywheel -
(longer) are unique to that application, and as far as I know, not available
from any source - except Clarks? No regular washer is used, although the
manual  flywheel application (at leat) has a large ring that spaces the contact
point for the bolt head out from the flywheel contact face. Remember to use
 that ring and add sealant on the threads. (think
crank-flywheel-ring-bolt) Thank goodness, most of us save the bolts and the  ring and re-use them.
As Tim noted, the clutch cover to flywheel bolts have  a tapered shoulder,
and use individual split-ring lock washers. My OEM ones are  marked as Grade
five fasteners (three tick marks). Length is important for all  these bolts.
Too short, not enough contact area for strength, too long, the  threads
might hit something. I hope you had a nice weekend.

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 5/26/2014 1:37:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,