<VV> 110 PG Engine removal : should 'fall' out with the TC boltsremoved

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed May 28 13:34:42 EDT 2014

Actually, no jack under the differential for engine removal. In fact, it
usually helps to put a bottle jack on top of the differential to jack it
down to help match the angle of the falling engine (engine falls rear
first, since it is still usually attached to the differential). The
differential, now being relieved of the weight of the engine, rises back
up, hence the need for the jacking down of the differential. I've never had
a differential fall further than an engine. This jack trick is very helpful
when removing a manual tranny engine, as the transmission input shaft is an
inch or so into the crackshaft and needs to slide out with no radial
pressure. A lot of differential snouts are broken from the sudden rise of
the differential on manual shift cars.

Harry's right, when the balance is right, the engine just slips off the
torque converter snout.

Remember, as you slide the engine rearward, the differential stays at the
same angle, so the engine needs to go lower as it goes backwards. At least
with a torque converter it is a short trip backwards.

Frank DuVal

Original email: