<VV> Turning torque

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri May 30 16:00:32 EDT 2014

Smitty Says;  Charlie don't worry about how much torque it wiil take to turn
it.  Put the starter on it and let the starter worry about if it can do the
job or not.  Dump a 1/2 oz of oil in the plug holes and leave the plugs out
while you crank the hell out of it.  If it turns over easily it is a good
bet to be a viable engine.  If not then all bets are off.  You should have
oil pressure in about 20 seconds and that will do as much good as screwing
around with the pump.  The engine will have no  combustion pressures while
doing the cranking so chances of wiping a bearing are almost non existent.
Give er hell buddy and get on with the program.
I have started any number of engines that blew rusty water out of the plug
holes when they were cranked and then squalled like a pig when they started.
If they do that they were a loser to begin with so you haven't lost a thing.
You seem to be in a real time crunch so put the keyboard away and pick up
the wrench.      Said with nothing but the best intentions.  Anyone who
disagrees with me is wrong, so don't bother to argue.   GGGG