<VV> Turbo engine clearances

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat May 31 00:37:00 EDT 2014

From: BobHelt at aol.com

Do what you think best, but my Shop Manual says that 3 thou is  max SERVICE
clearance. I'd suggest that you replace those main bearings.  Running with
your clearances will lower the oil pressure at idle and likely  illuminate
the dash light when the oil is hot.
Also, why do you think 5 of 6 rings were cracked? DO NOT use  cast Iron
rings for your rebuild. Go Moly and the best you can  find.
Just my opinions.
Regards,
Bob Helt
I'm rebuilding my '63 Turbo motor. This is my first  Corvair engine rebuild.
Today we plastigaged  the main bearings for  clearances. We did it by the GM
Service Manual.