<VV> '63 Turbo crank journal clearances

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 30 23:32:02 EDT 2014

I also say do not use cast iron for turbo use.

I have used cast iron for simple re-ringing of worn Corvair engines back
in the day, and might do it again on 145 cu in (those pistons do not
grenade like used 164 cu in do). But turbo engines need to hold in a lot
of compression/combustion gases. Much higher combustion temperatures.

As long as you are in there, put in new bearings. Unless you are 1. not
going to drive the car hard 2. not put over 10k miles on it. Again, like
cast iron rings, you could get away without replacing these in a low HP
engine, but not for long term use. I did a lot of this "get by" work to
keep used Corvairs on the road 30 years ago.

Frank DuVal