<VV> '63 Turbo crank journal clearances

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:47:04 EDT 2014

Nick, the sum of problems with the engine as it was torn down indicate the
motor was run hot, which is not hard to do in a Turbo installation.
If you want this motor to last the first thing you need to do is not use
cast rings. They WILL lose tension and compression in the hotter running
environment in a Turbo engine. Use Moly rings, or as a second, do  Chrome
rings. Some do not like chrome rings due to the longer break-in, however, I
used them on my overhaul a couple of years ago and the engine has run
great. I also used Chrome Rings in many hotter running aviation engine
applications with no problems.

While your main bearing clearances are a bit larger than I would like, they
are within worn service limits and you should see no issues doing this. But
if you want the engine to go another 100,000 miles, replace them! Bearings
are cheap! Make sure the oil pump is set up with proper clearances, and
make sure you use a good quality full synthetic oil like the Amsoil 10w40
or Mobil 1 15W50. Keep your rod bearing clearances in new limits. Put the
engine together with a good prelube, or a 50/50 mixture of STP and engine
oil. Break the engine in with good dino oil like Castrol with a ZDDP
additive added, for the first 500 miles, then go to the synthetic.

On the Cam. I do not understand why someone would reuse a cam when it is in
the center of the engine and any small irregularity not seen by the eye can
take out a new lifter because the lobe profile is not perfect like a new
cam. It is poor planning on your part. You have to split the engine to fix
the problem. Reground cams are cheaper than new and work just as well. Do
it right the first time and you will have a engine that will last a long
time.

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho
62 Monza coupe Red/Red 4 speed