<VV> Pre-testing 140 before running

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat May 31 13:08:21 EDT 2014

Charlie,

It is great that you want to do-it-yourself and learn in the  process so,
here is a way.  There are several local chapters of CORSA in  SoCal.  Do you
belong to one?  If so, have you asked if a local  chapter member can help
install the engine with you?  You would be  surprised how generous CORSA
people can be with fellow Corvair owners.  If  you don't belong, you should find
the closest one and join it.  In the big  picture, $20 or so per year for
chapter membership is a small expense  considering the help and camaraderie
you will get in return.  Some chapters  may require you to belong to the
national CORSA organization but either way,  this is highly recommended as well.

Of course, you are in a time crunch and the next chapter  meeting may be
too far out but you might try contacting them with an email or  phone call
anyway.  Contact information is on the CORSA website.   Perhaps you can offer
money for assistance with the engine.  Look at this  as an alternative to the
big expense of towing the car back and forth.   Hopefully, just getting the
engine in the car and running is enough to get it  registered and insured
to get the neighbors off your back.  Even if the car  is ugly as sin and
offends your neighbors, they can't do anything as long as it  is legal on the
street and running.

If you can't get a local member to help you, an option might  be Dave
Statland.  He has a "Mobile Corvair Service" business based in the  San Fernando
Valley.  I don't know what he would charge, if he has an  opening or if you
are too far away for him to be interested but it might be  an option.  Keep
in mind that time is money.  If you are far away, he  has travel time that
he can spend with other work and if he must do other things  because you are
not fully prepared for a simple installation, he may charge more  than what
he might have quoted on the phone.  His number is 818-609-VAIR  (8247) and
his website is _www.60-9VAIR.com_ (http://www.60-9VAIR.com)

Once you are not facing a deadline, you will have plenty of  time to play
with the other stuff and it could be fun to drive and work on the  car as it
evolves into something you can be proud of for both its looks and the  fact
that you did the work yourself.

Good luck,

Doc

PS: Is the engine the only thing keeping you from the  road?  Brakes,
lights, steering, decent tires, etc. are things you need to  take care of.

In a message dated 5/31/2014 7:22:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1