<VV> Diff wanted

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat May 31 21:12:58 EDT 2014

At 02:40 PM 5/31/2014, Frank DuVal via VirtualVairs wrote:
>That's what I meant. The whole unit including bolted in yokes is the
>wrong dimension. The complete late assembly is too wide. Use the
>early yokes, etc. The cast iron case is the same dimension. I used a
>late in an FC and it put the axles in a bond. I worked on a rampside
>with a whole late assembly, and whoever installed it cut a section
>out of each axle. I would like to know what Mark is bolting to the
>side of a late diff in a 65 Greenbrier.

Not to start any trouble at this juncture but there's a '65
Greenbrier in the fleet here.   A while back a question came up about
the diff used in the '65 FCs, as to whether it was an early design or
a late design... and I went to take a look.

I crawled underneath and checked out the diff in this '65
Greenbrier.   It had the traditional speedo boss on the side like an
early... and on the bottom it had the machined/cast bosses for a
'65-69 rear suspension mount bracket which of course had nothing
attached to it but the boss was there.  I did not, of course, see any
evidence of any bolts in the yokes to secure them to the diff ala
late model cars.

So... does anybody know exactly what kind of bastard diff was used in
the '65-only Greenbrier?   Is it actually a late dif casting with a
speedo boss and all else was simply "late" Corvair?  Or is something
else afoot here?

Somebody on the list here once told me that they put a late diff in
an early car and all they did was remove the inner "nuts" that hold
the late yokes in the diff and just shoved the early axles into place.

NOW:  That being said... diff widths?  The '60 diff WAS
different.  It was wider and used the same length (short) yokes on
both sides.   This changed in '61 iirc.

Now that I've added to the confusion I'll shaddap.

tony..