<VV> Getting stranded in a Corvair

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sat Nov 1 16:52:16 EDT 2014

I have driven from Michigan to Rhode Island in a Corvair, and back and
forth from Rhode Island to Maine several times in a Corvair, and I have
only been stranded twice in 15 years.  Once was when the input shaft
failed on my '66 Corsa 4-speed and the other was when the #10 wire
coming out of the battery failed on the same car.  In the case of the
input shaft, there was nothing to do but tow it and, fortunately, I was
only about 20 minutes from my house.  In the case of the #10 wire, I was
and still am ignorant of many Corvair issues.  Had I known about it, I
could have done a roadside splice. I didn't, so AAA towed me, I asked
about it on VV, got the answer, and did a driveway splice.

I have the AAA Gold Plan.  I didn't know Platinum existing.  Gold gives
you 100 free miles of towing up to 5 times per year.  Plus, you get
10-15% discounts on a wide variety of items (e.g., Amtrak train tickets,
movie tickets, hotel rooms, etc.).  I can't imagine driving without it.

Steven J. Serenska