<VV> Getting Stranded

Bill Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 07:15:25 EST 2014

Let's not forget the time I leant my '63 Monza coupe to a buddy when we were 500 miles from home.

He had his hand around a girl instead of on the wheel when he drove off the road and up an embankment, rolling the car on its right side.  Those early Corvairs are tough, so only the only damage was a broken windshield and partially collapsed right 'A' pillar.  Oh yeah - the backlight popped out as well.

Anyway, after we pushed the car back on its wheels and topped off the oil and battery fluid, we drove the car into town wearing goggles, found a local body shop that, for about $50 (we were poor college students), pulled the 'A' pillar back out, flashed the top of the windshield frame with aluminum sheet metal, duct-taped the backlight into the windshield frame, and covered the backlight frame with clear plastic sheeting.

We then proceeded to drive 500 miles back to Ann Arbor, after which I drove another 180 miles to my home.

I didn't learn until many years later how lucky we were not to get a stone chip on the backlight - made out of tempered, not safety, glass.

Ah, the things you do when you are 18 years old.

Bill