<VV> Brake Upgrade to 63 Monza, (Vairforce One)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Nov 14 14:28:34 EST 2014

On Nov 14, 2014, at 12:17 PM, mvjacobi--- via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> I'm in the process of Redoing lthe brakes on my 63 Monza. I have wanted to change the master cylinder (mc) to dual chamber for safety sake.  I Have a flaps dual type master cylinder that bolted right in. But I'm not sure which of the two ports serves the front and rear brakes.
>
> So the Questions,. Of two ports in the (mc),  which services front and which rear brakes?  Does the rear port get the line to the rear brakes?  The world wonders.
>
> Since the next stop is the paint shop I am more than ever dedicated to avoiding bending the car on some future cruise due to failed brakes.

Hi Mike,

I did some research when I did mine, I can't recall the exact reason but the connections are flipped - so front cylinder to rear and rear to front.  I think it has to do with engaging the fronts first under normal conditions, but don't hold me to that.

One thing to be aware of - if you lose an axle, the pedal will be quite low.  It's not like having normal brakes, but it is better than nothing.  If you're paying attention and it's a slow leak rather than a catastrophic failure, you'll notice the pedal get soft just as the reservoir has run empty but before you really only are using one axle.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  '69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150