<VV> Turbo's and Powerglides?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Nov 15 22:33:04 EST 2014

On 11/15/2014 6:34 PM, Bill McCurdy via VirtualVairs wrote:
> A blow-off valve is not intended for the stock system. With draw through
> the throttle plate is upstream of the compressor, so when it slams shut the
> whole thing (compressor included) goes into vacuum. There's no pressure
> surge to blow off, the turbo just slows down in a vacuum situation and no
> damage occurs.
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Matt Nall via VirtualVairs <
> virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

right - but on the 1-2 shift, the throttle is still open, and the
turbine is spinning fast and making boost.
When it shifts, the motor is pulled to a lower rev, meaning lower flow
capacity. But the turbine is still going fast, and the throttle is still
open.
That's what makes the spike in boost.

I hadn't thought of a wastegate, that addition could work fine.
And apparently going way rich will (per Matt's anecdote) also get you
through it. Water injection might be better in that case, but it's been
said that "good enough is the enemy of better".
I still wonder if you'd want less than full boost right after the shift.

regards
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen