<VV> Old Cars Weekly -- Corvair Car of the Week

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 10:36:37 EST 2014

Like Dave I've had less than the best experience with the last of the late model Corvairs.  It seemed like every '68 I've owned or driven had a misadjusted driver's door (you had to lift up on the handle to close it smoothly--even on the one I bought new) for instance.  But the biggest problem was the A.I.R. (smog) carbs and doing tune-ups.  I had to rebalance and fine tune the carbs and timing on every '68 I've owned and the '68 and '69 models of friends (and acquaintances I tried to get to join our clubs) before they would idle smoothly and accelerate without stumbling.  The UniSyn tool was invaluable. Vacuum leaks were a bigger problem than pre-A.I.R.-smog engines as well.  Just like that last Monza 140 road-test by Motor Trend, the last cars just didn't seem to arrive from the factory running well.

But once sorted out they were great cars too (but just a bit slower because of the smog pump drag--though some guys did like the "sound of my turbo" when they heard the A.I.R. pump winding up).

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics
CORSA