<VV> Space saver (Safety)

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Oct 6 11:40:01 EDT 2014

I can't find it, but Car and Driver, well over 20 years ago, did skid pad
tests with a couple of cars with 4 space saver donuts each. They were
surprised how well they did, but then again, they were expecting (as was I)
to have a really poor handling car. The handling was fine, the dry grip was
not impressive!!
John Roberts
Smitty says:   I also remember that story and the one where the group took a
car cross country to see what kind of failures might occur.  Then there was
the team trying for a land speed record for a certain class with an MG ran
four of them on their car because the tread was thin and light weight,
(inertially),  and they would run cool because of minimal sidewall flex.
New record at over 200 mph.  I wouldn't try any of this with an inflatable
spare.
I think the safety limitations embossed on the tires is for the non car
types so they will be more careful with it on.  We car enthusiasts
understand enough about loading and tire patch adhesion to be about half
smart without the warning.