<VV> oil change to 15-40

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 10:00:47 EDT 2014

Ken, you should read Richard Widman's paper on Corvair engines and oils. He
is in the oil business. He quotes the correct diesel oil classification to
use. However, there are very good gas engine oils out there too. Any of the
current oils are superior to oils in existence back in the 60's, however,
you would need to add the zddp available on Amazon or from Clark's for most
of them. I am currently using Valvoline VR1 10W30 which has the zddp needed
in my engine but have to order it off Amazon. So am thinking about the
Mobil 1 15W50 myself. Its easy to get and already has a following with
years of service in Corvair engines and is about the same price as the
other oils.
As long as the 15W40 has the amount of zddp in it should work well for you.
Richards article focus's on oil the engine was designed for, and has some
charts for data to prove his point. Full synthetics are a superior oil and
overcome some of the weaknesses of std Dino oils so straying out of the
prescribed viscosity range a bit has proven to work fine.
Mark Durham Hauser Idaho
62 Coupe Red/Red w/64-110  with a 270 Cam and ported modified heads.