<VV> Two Barrel Setup

Allan V. Lacki redbat01 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 22 09:52:46 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,  After seeing your request for information, I emailed to you a copy of the instruction booklet that Clark's used to include in its Holley  5200 Ultimate Carb Kit.   Mark at Clarks shared it with me a couple of years ago.

It has no special instructions about setting the idle.  It simply says to set the idle speed after installing the carbs.

It also mentions connecting the vacuum advance hose to a specific vacuum port on one of the carbs, but it doesn't indicate whether or not the specified port is a "ported vacuum" port that would switch the vacuum off at idle, (like a standard Rochester HV).

I looked up Holley 5200 carbs on the internet and saw nothing indicating whether or not they have a ported vacuum outlet.   If there is no ported vacuum on this carb, that would explain why your new club member's vacuum advance line is disconnected, for if it was connected, the engine would be idling even higher than 1,100 RPM.  Depending on the mechanical advance setting, the engine is either (a) losing a lot of performance potential by having no vacuum advance, or (b) drinking up a lot of gasoline at idle.

If the Holley 5200 carbs have no ported vacuum outlet, it would be possible to make one using a manual vacuum on-off switch like I did for my own Corvair.

I would really like to experience a well-tuned 110 Corvair engine with the Clark's Ultimate Carb Kit installed correctly, just to see if there is a noticeable boost in performance.

Brian wrote, "A new club member recently bought a 65 110 car. The previous had installed what looks to be the 2 two barrel Webers setup that Clark's used to sell. The car idles at about 1100 RPM and doesn't have the vacumn advance hooked up. I don't think this is correct. Any one out there have experience with this set up and could provide some information? Thanks"