<VV> Fan belt tension

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Sep 24 14:56:02 EDT 2014

I'll vote for Clark's wrapped belts.  I've got one on a '63 84hp that has been on it for around 20 years and 30,000 or more miles.  I run it as many RPMs as it will run and used to power shift it a lot.  I had a '64 recently spit off a couple of belts and I replaced them with a 20 year old Clark's wrapped NOS belt and it hasn't come off yet.  I can't say the same for the stock wire wheel covers.

Joel McGregor

From: VirtualVairs [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of shortle via VirtualVairs [virtualvairs at corvair.org]
Subject: Re: <VV> Fan belt tension

This topic started off with the original tool by GM for their dealers to set belt tension, then went onto accessing the original fasteners for the idler pulley and the homemade tools created (because not everyone wants to remove the distributor caps for access), then onto installing longer nuts for access (my favorite), and then onto speed shifting on our generator equipped under powered Corvairs. I still like the Otto parts belts. How about you guys? What are your favorite fan belts to use?
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301