<VV> Tranny and rear axle oil

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Apr 1 19:59:52 EDT 2015

I had a shift seal leaking in my 62 Rampside I drained all  the grease out
and replaced the seal and put 70/90 grease back in.  From everything I'm
reading I did a No NO. Should I drain grease out and replace with something
else, or should I add a additive.  I've only put about 20 miles on truck
since I change it.  Thanks want to do the right thing
Smitty Says;  You and me both buddy.  The more I learn the more I am
confused about what is right.  I have written several hundred words and
written a thousand trying to get a definitive answer and so far I know very
little.  If you used GL-4 it will work for you a long time before it does
any damage.  If you used GL--5 I would get it the heck out of there.  It
will do very little of what you need.  I am sure you will get quite a bit of
advise on what to use.  I would strongly suggest you go on the net using key
words "The difference in GL -4 and GL-5 gear oil",  and see what you can
learn.  Even then you have to be leary of some company claims such as
AMSOIL.  It may be the greatest lubricant in the history of mankind but I
have met all their claims over the years using Dinosaur oil.  Subjected it
to excessive heat and ran excessive miles between changes.  In my million
miles of driving so far I have never had a engine or transaxle failure I
could blame on  "Poor oil".  We are stuck with trying to get our transaxle
lube to do two things.  It has to be an extreme pressure lube for the diff
and it has to have chemical protection for our Synchros.  It appear to me
that either that is a difficult requirement to meet,   OR   the oil
companies expect to sell so little to us Corvair owners that they simply
don't give a damn if they do or not.  What ever else you do don't use any of
the modern front wheel drive lubes that are thin like water, no matter how
many times it says 70, 80 WT.
Read all you can on the subject and make the most infirmed decision you can.