<VV> Standard Transmission Oil

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 21:45:57 EDT 2015

OK, you guys finally got me to go to the parts store to see what is on the
shelf.  About 8 or so different brands of Gear Lube (which is what I suppose
that GL stands for).

Most of them are synthetic and now I'm wondering if synthetic gear lube is
too slippery for our antique synchronizers?  But, that's not my only
question.

BTW, I've been using Mobil 1 whenever I top off.  I occasionally notice a
rough shift in both the truck and the car.  That is usually (but not always)
when they are not fully warmed up.

Virtually ALL of the brands on the shelf listed both GL4 and GL5.  There was
only ONE brand - called Pennzoil Synchromesh - and it does not specify a
weight like 80-90 or 75-90 (like the others do) on the label.  But, it DOES
have the following information:

For GM vehicles requiring Part # 12345349 OR 12345577.  For transaxles and
transmissions.  NOT for ALL transaxles and transmissions - see owners
manual.

In small print - overlooked the first time I read it....  GL3.  So the
second question - is GL3 appropriate for our manual tranny Corvairs?

Later, JR