<VV> Making sense of a gazillion posts on GL-4 vs. GL-5 (Yes, I did read them)

Charlie chaz at properproper.com
Tue Apr 7 21:52:42 EDT 2015

Nope I read them all, ~ and I hope this finds you in a better mood?

I recently tore my '65 Corsa 4-speed transmission and differential apart,
and a friend put them back together.

He filled it up with GL-5 that he bought, and now it looks like we need to
drain it out?

So, I want to be sure before I have to throw away what he was helpful enough
to do for me.

So now I'm just trying not to be confused by the plethora of repeated,
concurring and dissenting opinions being posted, trying to make sense of it
all.

Then, while ordering some parts from Clark's, I asked the tech guy who said
that GL-4 is correct for 4-speeds (and agreed that it should not be "GL-4
hypoid"), and that their regimen is to use GL-5 for PGs only.

I didn't ask him about non-synchro 3-speeds though ...

Charlie