<VV> '65 3-speed is non-synchro, but '66-'69 is synchro?

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 12:26:15 EDT 2015

No. The very early three spds were non-synchro in first (1960 Aluminum
case). All later three spds had three speeds with synchro. All Four spds had
all synchro gears. Yes, 1965 is a transmission that is similar to
1961-1964..Engineering changes within. 1966-69 is different.
No, your theory is full of hot air. All Corvair synchros were of similar
brass material; 1959 thru 1969.   No freaking GL 5 in any Corvair manual
transmission! What is so hard about that? (I acknowlege there are folks who
have perhaps successfully used GL 5. Wonderful. Maybe the newer GL-5 has
sufficient inhibitors that it will not affect brass synchros..to me, the
jury is still out.)
Seems to me, quit fighting the problem. Buy GL 4. How much of the stuff are
you going to use, anyway?
Try to stay in range of recommended oil ratings/weights.

PG owners, use whatever you like..

Everyone. Wonderful articles on Corvair manual transmissions by Craig
Nicholes and Bob Helt. The Corvair Basics many of us contributed to..lots of
good stuff. Classic Corvair by Bob Helt is vry good.  Buy the Tech guide.
There are so many tech tips, you will be amazed.. Buy it!

Chuck S