<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 123, Issue 21

Stewart MacLeod stewartmacleod at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:38:14 EDT 2015

> Hard Steering

I recently had a similar hard steering problem with my 65 Monza with '66 quick steering box. I had just turned the adjustment screw in the box a quarter turn to take out a little slack, so I naturally thought I had tightened too much. Adjusting it back the other way had no effect on steering effort. Long story short, this turned out to be a nylon pitman arm bushing that had somehow become compressed against the pitman arm. Disconnecting the arm from the relay rod resulted in the steering box turning easily and both wheels turning easily. Replacement with a new nylon bushing, shell and bolt solved the problem.

Stew in Arkansas