<VV> Tire in the engine bay

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Apr 11 02:19:39 EDT 2015

On 4/10/2015 3:04 PM, jwcorvair at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Jay,
> I just read the description of your car. Do you have pictures or a
> link to pictures? What fiberglass pieces did you use: hood, engine
> lid, fenders? How did you install the engine? This sounds like a very
> cool car and worth a story.
> Regards,
> Joe White (62 four door, 64 Spyder project, 66 Porvair)
> Boulder, CO
Hi, Joe
Sure, I have photos on my site, and there are others around.

www.laserpubs.com/personal

Some demented soul person took a badly abused '61 2-door, removed most
of the skin, and gave it a custom fiberglass exterior.
Along the way, they shortened the doors to 4-dr length, gave it a
homebrew V-8 conversion, front spindles and brakes from a 61/62 Tempest,
and lots of other eccentricities.

Under the fiberglass, it shows body damage in both rear quarters, and
the driver side front wheel house has been replaced.
Both windshield posts have been welded, though it uses a stock
windshield. The opening isn't quite the right shape, so the previous two
windshields failed at the same place. I replaced it by cutting out the
retaining lip from the rubber a lot of the way around, and used adhesive
to fill the gaps and hold it in. Looks sloppy, works fine.
I have no idea of the heritage of the skin - maybe someone thought of
creating a kit car, and this started as a test mule?

The car's a fairly decent 50-footer.

But - it's fun. It's different. I learn a lot working on it, as almost
everything has to be imagineered.

Someday I may get a real Corvair!

Regards
Jay