<VV> other vehicles with the same gear lube requirements

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 15:30:37 EDT 2015

Again, as far as Amsoil's concerned, their GL-5 will do just fine in our trannies and diffs.  And again, as far as Amsoil's concerned, their GL-4 will do just fine in our trannies and diffs.  I called them again and asked for some clarification.  The tech rep explained it this way:  BOTH are an acceptable choice.  The difference is this: what do you want your lube to do for you?  Their GL-4 lube is made with the major emphasis on having smoother shifts.  Their GL-5 is made with the major emphasis on having extra heavy duty protection.  On their website, they have a field study of an 18 wheeler diff that ran over 520,000 miles on a single fill of their GL-5 75W-90 gear oil.  They actually tested a whole fleet of them.  They showed what this one looked like all taken apart for inspection.  Pretty impressive.  It passed with flying colors and was in super shape.  Check out the field study for yourself.  But the way I figure it, if it'll do that for an 18 wheeler diff, it can surely do that for me.  And so far it has.  I've used the GL-5 since getting the '60 on the road last June.  And all winter long it shifted like a warm summer's day.  Smooth as silk.  And besides all that, their gear oil comes with a warranty.
A suggestion:  since it's beginning to look like a lotta different companies lubes will work just fine, why doesn't someone start keeping track of them and their results instead of us hacking each other to bits because  "my gear oil is better than your gear oil"?   Just a thought.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'60 700 '64' 110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop 110/pg
'65 Monza 4dr 84 (Soon to be '64' 110) /pg