<VV> other vehicles with the same gear lube requirements

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 17:16:07 EDT 2015

If there has been any consensus out of this whole discussion, it looked to
me like everyone should read Richard Widman's article on gear oils.  You
really need to do that.  For one thing he has a list of GLs that are OK for
the Corvair and said "If you want me to add something I can look at it if
you send me a link."  By the Amsoil GL-4 is in the list and their GL-5
explicitly is not.

As far as testing their GL-5 in truck differentials goes, they could run
them for a couple million miles and it would still be absolutely meaningless
as far as damage to synchronizer rings goes.  Per Amsoil's own tests, their
GL-5 is harder on synchronizers than their GL-4.  It comes in lower on the
standard copper strip tarnish test.  If it wasn't, they could just one
product GL-4/5 and quit making the other one.  Whether GL-5 is enough worse
to matter, I don't know.  Again, it is enough worse that they make a
separate GL-4 product.

>From anything I have seen so far, Amsoil GL-4 is probably fine in a Corvair
transaxle.  Their products are probably fine but I avoid them.  So much of
their tech data seems to get garbled through too many intermediate sources.
Don't know what to believe.

Jim Becker