<VV> Clubs Dead or Alive

Vairtec Corp vairtec at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 18:45:58 EDT 2015

To the extent that this may prove helpful to any struggling clubs:

My local club has, fortunately, always been healthy, but a few years ago
we lost our regular meeting place, a common occurrence for car clubs.
At that time, at the recommendation of the then-president, we switched
from monthly meetings on weekday evenings to monthly breakfast
gatherings on Saturday mornings at a centrally-located diner.*  This
changed a decades-old practice.

I was skeptical, but I was proven wrong quickly.  Participation
increased almost immediately, and has remained higher ever since.

So, if you have a struggling club and you are still doing monthly
weeknight meetings, you may wish to consider a change.

I am not suggesting that this is a cure-all.  My club is fortunate to
have an active and committed group of officers, a place to conduct tech
sessions, a vibrant newsletter, and is located in an area with much to
see and do.  But there is no question that the switch to Saturday
morning breakfast gatherings was invigorating.

--Bob

* "Diner"  A casual eating extablishment somewhat unique to New Jersey
and surrounding areas, offering virtually every kind of menu item.