<VV> Service manual errors now early axle tool

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Aug 1 22:36:42 EDT 2015

J-8916-1 is more of a universal bearing removal tool, not a specific
made for the early Corvair axle bearing tool. That is why there is not a
different number for the FC bearing, even though it is larger.

For a specific tool, made for the early bearings, by a Corvair
owner/machinist, buy Russell Davis' axle tool. It is offered for sale by
Clarks as C8504. This tool really works! I can not say enough good about
it. I was damaging more early bearings than removing complete bearings
until I started using this tool. Now I can get 100% of early and FC
bearing off the axle shaft with no additional damage to them. The FC
plate is a separate purchase, C12673.

Pricey, but getting several people to go in , like a local club, and
have it as a loaner works good.

Frank DuVal