<VV> Electronic distributor update

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 4 15:50:21 EDT 2015

On Aug 4, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Smitty via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

>        The question in my mind is, what could be constructed to make an emergency shutoff.  If opening the primary circuit can burn out the module and opening the secondary (High Voltage) can hurt you and the equipment as well,  is there a way to shut a runaway down quickly?

For the situation where you're at the engine compartment, it seems we'd like something that you can easily hit, but preferably is normal "on" - we don't want a switch failure to shut the engine off.  Would it be possible to have a momentary contact switch that would ground some part of the circuit that wouldn't otherwise hurt anything?  In combination with a remote starter switch you'd be able to start and stop the engine from the rear.  Not a common situation, but for a combination you're dialing in that could be really handy.  Maybe a switch tapped into the minus side of the coil that goes to ground?  I don't know enough about this electricity stuff to be sure that's a good answer :-)

--Bryan