<VV> Rampside Timing Without Timing Mark

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Feb 2 13:58:22 EST 2015

Knock sensors/eliminators are great.  I think a baby monitor might not
work because there is no noise cancellation.  They are designed to operate  in
a relatively noise free environment.  The human ear can  discriminate.
However, it is worth a try.

Imagine someone opening your engine compartment and seeing a baby monitor
in there.  Tell them the baby enjoys the warmth.  :-)

Doc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 2/2/2015 10:49:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jaysplace at laserpubs.com writes:

On  2/2/2015 10:02 AM, RoboMan91324--- via VirtualVairs wrote:

> Another  issue is that if you time the engine while the FC is  unloaded,
the
> engine could be knocking/pinging itself to death the first  time  you
drive
> it with a significant load in the bed.  This  also goes for  engines that
> have been timed with a timing  mark.  Adjust the timing a  little more
than you
> would  normally think, just in case.  If you NEVER use  your FC as a
truck,
> this is less of an issue.  Keep in mind that this  could  be an issue
with a
> car too.  Four or five humans  inside with their  additional junk in the
trunk
> (both literally  and figuratively) can increase the  load enough to induce
>  pinging.  Of course, it is easier to hear the  knocking in a  car.  That
is,
> unless your passengers include screaming   kids.  (...or a screaming
wife.)

> Doc

So - use a baby monitor  or the equivalent to hear what things sound like?
I wonder if any modern  knock sensors would be suitable for the job?

--
Jay  Maechtlen
SoCal

---