<VV> Since 1984...

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 13:06:44 EDT 2015

All:   I've been a CORSA member continuously since the mid 70's.  Served as
Competition Committee Chairman from late '79 till mid-84 or so.  I was
recruited by Dave Newell as part of the CPF Advisory Board as it was
created.  Served as a CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison from the
convention in Tahoe in '99 until convention in 2002.

Many years ago, like 4 decades ago, the late Clay Wispell wrote an article
for the Communique about CORSA membership, the budget and related topics.  I
have retained the article in a file, but am writing this from memory.

CORSA was started in 1969.  Up until about 1978 , CORSA was managed by a
group of volunteers.  They were dropping like flies sprayed with Raid due to
the workload.

CORSA acquired our first management team and Communique publisher in late
1978/early 1979.  They were in place at the Detroit Convention in 1979.  I
knew them both reasonably well.  I was to get to know the BoD members which
turned CORSA from a loosely organized car club run by volunteers into a well
organized car club run by trained professionals.    Those BoD members were
people we owe our continued existence to: Allen (at least two of them!),
Herb, Fred, Clay, Bob (at least two of them also!), Pete, Ken, Tony, Larry,
Seth and many others who poured their hearts and souls into CORSA.   It
wasn't always a pretty process, but they all were working toward a common
goal as each understood it.

IIRC, CORSA membership was about 8400 by in 1984. In the article Clay
observed CORSA membership began to decline as the 1960 Corvair turned 25 and
the 1969 turned 15 years old.  Fifteen to twenty-five year old cars cease to
be reliable transportation for most folks.  They become "toy cars".
Something we play with and enjoy.

At the annual CORSA BoD meeting in 1984, IIRC, the BoD approved a budget
expecting CORSA Membership to reach 10k.  It did not happen because of the
above lack of interest by most people for toy cars. Membership began
declining at the same time.   This optimistic budget decision resulted in
the first financial crisis within CORSA.   CORSA has been "dying" since
then.  I think we are now down to membership numbers at or below those we
had in 1979 or so.

Someone said: "But Lon, membership has been steadily declining - for the
past 20 years.  Yup - a sign of the modern age where the internet tells us
the big lie that everything should be free. It's why swap meets, conventions
and more traditional means of "getting together" are slowly dying. The
internet age has killed magazine advertising and a lot of the printed word.
Let's also not forget the average age of our membership - are we supposed to
believe that, if we just did the job right,  there's a whole massive number
of young Corvair lovers out there that we could get to join?"

While some of the above paragraph is true, its opening premise is wrong.
CORSA's history tells us the internet/computer age of free info is NOT the
cause of CORSA's reduced and reducing membership.  If anything is the cause,
it is because Corvair people are generally an independent folk, who are
rapidly turning into old chromogens and/or dying off.  Excessively
independent minded people are not inclined to join much of anything.

Some of you (Not only do you know who you are, we know who you are)  need to
stop bitching every time something doesn't go exactly like you in your
infinite wisdom think it should.  And then you go and say something
terminally stupid like "I'm not going to re-up my CORSA membership."  That
fixes what exactly?!

There are empty seats on the CORSA's BoD.  Fill them.  Stop you crapping,
put your nose down and get to work like Allen (at least two of them), Herb,
Fred, Clay, Bob (at least two of them also!), Pete, Ken, Tony, Larry, Seth
and many others did so many years ago.  They poured their hearts and souls
into CORSA.

But understand, in joining the BoD, you should plan on committing you bank
book, credit card(s) and vacation time to the effort.

So folks, do you want to go back to the loosely organized car club run by
volunteers?  Keep it up.

Historically Yours,
                           James Rice

Message: 1