<VV> Exhaust gas into heater

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 22:45:59 EDT 2015

Should be able to find someone with appropriate lower shrouds for small
money.  Thermostats might be a bit more expensive.

I'd suggest removing the oil pan and any residual gasket material on the pan
and the block, straighten out (flatten especially around bolt holes) the pan
mating edge to flatten any uneven spots.  Also check (the block side) for
stripped out holes - which can be fixed.  Let us know if that becomes a
problem since we can make suggestions on that.  I prefer the thick paper
gasket for the pan with a THIN coating of RTV on each side.  Others will not
agree on that.

What else was going on?  Oh yeah - deflashing the heads.  What oil lines are
you talking about?  There aren't any other than where the oil cooler is
attached to the left head and that is just a couple of gaskets about a 1/2
inch thick.

Deflashing requires removal of the top shroud (AKA turkey roaster) which
also requires removal of the carbs and fuel pump - removed as a unit.  Also
gen/alt have to come off.  While there, check the REAL top cover - the
aluminum one which has the fan (and fan bearing) attached at the top.  Check
for possible oil leaks where the top cover mates with the block.  That one
takes two gaskets.  Leaks there will definitely run down to the exhaust
manifolds.

You have other issues to deal with?  Have you looked for or joined a local
club?  You would be surprised at how helpful the locals with be - with both
parts and help.

Hope I covered all of the questions you've had.

Later, JR