<VV> Early Convertible doors question

Dusty Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue May 5 18:32:17 EDT 2015

One trick would be to spray the hinges and post/door frame with a contrasting paint color, and once the door is removed, reattach the hinge using the paint marks, and then drilling the 1/8" pilot holes.  I suggest that you drill 2 on the body side, top and bottom, so the index marks will be exact.  Also, check the gaps, and take pictures before taking the doors off.  On one of my cars, I didn't realize how tight the gaps were until I rehung the doors after painting.  Had I realized it sooner, I could have ground the edge of the door to give more clearance.  To do this, you grind more than necessary, and then weld the door skin edge to create a rounded edge, like the factory rolled edge.  This is an old body man trick to fixing a too tight of a gap problem.
Paul in CT