<VV> Instructions fuel pump 1963 Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 10 12:43:29 EDT 2015

The shop manual.

But, with the following tools, it is the easiest fuel pump you ever
changed, as long as we are talking the Corvair mechanical pump (i.e. not
an electric aftermarket type).

Tools:

1/2" combination (or box type) wrench
9/16" combination (or open end or box type) wrench
7/16" and 1/2" flare nut wrenches (use of open ends usually results in
rounded nuts)
9/16" open end wrench (need open end for holding brass tee and brass
fitting into fuel pump)
teflon tape (many my disagree with this, as small pieces of teflon tape
can go down the fuel line) or pipe dope made for gasoline. Many people
seem to not use either and have no leaks, YMMV.
Vise grips or small pipe wrench to R&I the 1/8" pipe from the fuel pump.

Hint: do not unscrew the brass tee from the pipe, just unscrew the
assembly from the pump and reinstall.

Oh, 1" open end wrench to keep the carburetor nuts tight. I usually
remove the left fuel line from the carb to aid in removing the lines
form the brass tee.

Remove (at least loosen) all the lines before loosening the pump
mounting bolt.

Loosen the 9/16" hex nut from the mounting screw, then remove the
mounting bolt. When reinstalling, screw the mounting bolt in by hand and
feel for the point going into the dimple on the pump.

I could do the job faster than typing these instructions! (not counting
finding the tools...)

Frank DuVal