<VV> powerglide speed

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 21:13:33 EST 2015

You guys need a better ignition system!  Just sayin'  - Seth  Emerson

In a message dated 11/2/2015 6:11:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
virtualvairs at corvair.org writes:

It was  probably the plugs. However, my points driven 62 102 years ago would
create  problems in the 16k to 18k Mile's range. I tried to stretch the
plugs to 20  k one time and ended up doing a tune up mid way on a trip.
Several plugs  would not fire under high load even after gapping them.
Mark  Durham
Hauser, ID
On Nov 2, 2015 5:56 PM, "Jay Maechtlen via  VirtualVairs" <
virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> On  10/31/2015 12:34 PM, Michael Kovacs via VirtualVairs  wrote:
>
>>     While legally driving my '66 140  PG, I noticed several times with
the
>> PG locked in low, the engine  would only rev up to about 4400 before it
>> started misfire/break  up. This happened 3 times. This equates to about
>> 55-60  MPH.
>>   Is this due to any physical restriction built  into the system? The
>> engine was pulling very strongly and  accelerating just fine at this
point.
>>   It is a strong  rebuilt engine with true compression at 9.25:1 and a
>> mild cam. I  just realized this week that the sparkplugs were not changed
>> since  the rebuild about 30,0000 miles ago. If one starts to misfire at
this
>> rpm, could it cause the problem?
>>    Recommendation for spark plugs please...
>>
> that's odd - I  didn't see any responses to this.
> It seems to me that crappy plugs  could cause misfire at full throttle in
> higher revs.
> Of  course, so could other things, but 30k on the plugs means that it's
>  probably time for them anyhow.
> I've never heard mention of built-in  rev limiters on stock Corvairs.
>
> I've seen a number of  discussions here on plugs, so a an archive search
> "should" work  well.
>
> There's a discussion starting 8/27, another at  6/2
> --
> Jay Maechtlen
> SoCal
> '61 2-dr modified  w/fiberglass skin,