<VV> powerglide speed

wfcc at mediacombb.net wfcc at mediacombb.net
Mon Nov 2 22:05:02 EST 2015

A long, long time ago in a Galaxie.... (not even a 500)---- -- Oh wait, that's already been done. I had a 110, PG, Rampside (that was a work in progress) that we took to a car show about 40 miles away and we had several Corvairs to show. My wife chose to drive the Rampside back and I drove a 66 Monza Convertible, 4 spd , About halfway back on I-10 (speed limit 70 MPH) I noticed that she had slowed down a bit , I pulled along side and the Rampside was screaming, like 5000 rpm screaming, I motioned her to pull over and asked her what the H*** was going on, she said it started getting louder about five miles back  but seemed to be going OK and she had to push harder on the gas pedal so she wasn't too concerned. It had shifted down to low.  I forget what the problem was (probably the E-Clip). Many years later we had the same problem in an Ultravan but it was the governor that had broken the tab off and had slipped out, but that's another story
                                                              Ed Lindsay
                                                               West Florida Corvair Club