<VV> High Capacity Alternators

Ron Hinz ronh at owt.com
Wed Nov 4 22:33:40 EST 2015

Has anyone ever seen an alternator on a Corvair pull anything like 100 amps?
I'm skeptical if anyone ever has because the only instrumented test that
I've ever heard of was run on an Ultravan by the Ultravan club and their
result was that with a properly adjusted belt, 50 amps was about all you
were ever going to get before the belt starts slipping.  That limitation
comes from the 1/4 wrap on the pulley and it's a design limitation.  People
can claim anything but it's the measured numbers that are meaningful.
Ron Hinz