<VV> Surging at Cruise

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Nov 12 11:20:02 EST 2015

If you are speaking of the "high speed enrichment" circuits in the
primary carbs, it shouldn't effect the operation engine operation on a
140 four carb engine.  When Chevy enlarged the engine to 164 cuin in
1964, they found the carbs leaned out in the 4,000 to 4,400 rpm range at
full throttle.  To combat his a high speed enrichment valve and metering
circuit was added to the carbs in 1965.  Working properly the valve
opens (the needle unseats) when velocity of the air flowing through the
venturi reaches a certain value.  With a 166 cuin engine this occurs at
about 3,700 rpm and is shown on a wide band oxygen sensor.  In a 140
engine with all four carbs wide open, the air velocity in the primary
carbs never reaches sufficient velocity to unseat the high speed
enrichment needle.

Most engine surging is caused by a lean condition.  A vacuum leak is the
most probable condition although a carb float level set low will also
cause this problem.   A lean condition can also be aggravated by too
much total advance (static, centrifugal, vacuum).  At slow cruise (13
inHg or more),  the idle and idle transition circuit supply all of the
fuel to the engine.  Some where around 2,400 rpm cruise the main fuel
circuit "tips-in" supplying extra fuel through the venturi cluster.  The
idle circuit is always supplying the fuel/air emulsion to the engine
even at full throttle.  On two carb 164 cuin engines, the high speed
enrichment circuit tips-in at about 3,700 rpm.
Jim Davis