<VV> Overdrive Transmissions

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 11:25:21 EDT 2015

Well, I have an opinion.

Yes, one can do it. First of all, the trans can be modified to change
gearing significantly. The more radical changes require a different cluster
gear, from substitution of big car Saginaw to mfg a cluster gear of various
Sag gears.

The points regarding torque range are applicable. However, one can grind a
cam, or better yet, use roller lifters with a custom cam, plus heads flowed
for lower rpm torque, improved exhaust outlets, modified distributor curve
to shift power band of engine. The next step would be EFI and now one can
get closer to optimum fuel delivery and spark timing so that the engines
perform more like modern engines. Keep in mind we get into cooling issues
which ought to be considered.. Currently, with all aspects considered, I do
not see how we can get a modern engine equivalent torque curve out of our
old design. We can get closer.

Chuck S