<VV> Overdrive Transmissions

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:59:08 EDT 2015

If I ignore all the engine discussion, I THINK the original question
essentially was whether you could change fourth gear of a Corvair
transmission into an overdrive.  The simple answer to that question is no.
Fourth is direct drive, yielding a 1:1 ratio by coupling the input and
output to each other.  You can add, change, remove gears all day and all it
can possibly change is everything but fourth.

There are other options.  However, since the countershaft gears all come
together in one piece, any ratio changes will start to get complicated (read
as $$$).  To get an overdrive, you could change another gear to run faster
than 1:1.  The obvious change would be to make current first into overdrive.
There are complications.  Your shift pattern would change.  Going
sequentially through the gears would mean going though the current positions
2-3-4-1.  Using an FC transmission might yield some better ratios for 2 and
3 (the new 1 and 2).  There are some complications.  Using the early
transmission, you would end up with a non-synchro overdrive.  No matter
which transmission you use, you may not be able to make clearance in the
case for the extra-large gear on the countershaft.  Messing with first gear
ratios will foul up reverse.  It may be easier to change second or third,
which avoids both the non-synchro and reverse problems.  The synchronizer
parts may limit how small you can go on the driven gear.  Also, it would
make for an even stranger shift pattern.

Overall, you would probably be better off to use an FC transmission and find
some 3.08 final drive gears or have a custom ring and pinion made (if you
could even find someone to do it).

Jim Becker