<VV> Overdrive Transmissions

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 01:20:37 EDT 2015

Saginaw 4 speed ratios
1st                    2nd                3rd                 4th
No lines             2.84    2.01                1.35              1.00
1  line                 2.54                1.80                 1.44
       1.00
2 lines                3.11                 2.20                 1.47
       1.00
3  lines               3.50                 2.47                 1.65
       1.00
The above numbers are standard Saginaw 4-speed ratios. Lines refer to the
number of lines on the standard input shaft - It doesn't apply the  Corvair.
Note that the Corvair trans has some specific Reverse gear  location needs
that may not match the other available Saginaws, especially later  ones.
The line for the 3.11 first is the standard Corvair ratio. I  suppose, if you
shifted to the wider ratio box, starting with the 3.50 to one  first, you
adjust the rear axle ratio, maybe to 3.08, still have a usable  first gear or
change to taller rear tires and lower your Cruising RPM.
- Seth

In a message dated 10/30/2015 8:59:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,