<VV> Shop Manual, Corvair Basics Manual, VV

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Thu Sep 3 12:07:45 EDT 2015

VVers:

I had some work done on my '65 Vert (blower bearing) and it wasn't until
I returned home that I noticed the guy who did the work left the fanbelt
tensioner and guides completely untightened.

I looked at it for a moment and thought I would just drive it back. Then
I figured out that the cost of gas, time, plus the risk of the belt
slipping off entirely outweighed all other factors.  I thought, "How
hard can it be?" and opened up the Shop Manual.

The Shop Manual advises you, and I quote, to "place a 1/16" shim between
the belt and the rear guide then using a bar and a strand tension gauge
adjust blower belt to 55 lb. +/- 5lb. (used belt) and 75lb. +/- 5lb (new
belt".  Since I don't own a tension gauge, I thought, "Crap, it can't be
this hard, I'll look in the Corvair Basics Manual."

The Corvair Basics Manual sensibly advises you to "leave enough slack so
that you can just turn the generator/alternator fan with one finger."
Bingo.

I'm back on the road and still enjoying this awesome top-down weather.
It's funny, in the 20 minutes it took me to do this, I kept thinking,
"And if the Corvair Basics Manual turns out to be wrong or misses
something, I can always post on VV."

Thanks to all who contributed to the Basics Manual and to all who patrol
these waters looking to help.

Steven J. Serenska
1965 Monza Convertible, 110/4
1966 Corsa Coupe, 140/4