<VV> Running an engine without shrouds

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 13:45:19 EDT 2015

Bob,

It is likely that if you accelerated and decelerated the motor gently on
the stand, there would be no problem.  It depends on the accel/decel rate
and the geometry of your rig.  Keep in mind that when first starting up a
newly rebuilt motor, you could have run-away acceleration.  Doo-doo  happens.
It's not necessarily too bad for the motor if you shut it down  quickly but
it could flip the stand over.  However, better safe than  sorry.

It eases my mind that you chose to run it on the ground first.

To all, please understand that my concern isn't whether or not the stand is
 robust enough to stay intact under the weight and torque of the motor.
Bob's stand sounds like it is built to "take it."  My concern is whether or
not the stand will remain upright.  The issue is Newton's third law of
motion ....  a universally accepted law of physics.  It  states, "For every
action (force, torque) there is an equal and opposite  reaction."  The motor
creates torque to accelerate the rotating members  within the motor,
(crankshaft, flywheel, etc.) Newton's third law dictates that  the rest of the motor
will try to turn in the opposite direction.  This  includes what ever the
motor is affixed to.  I.E., the stand.  An  extreme example of this would be a
dragster. ... actually 2 examples.  The  torque exerted by the drive wheels
on the ground will exert a reaction torque on  the vehicle which lifts the
front of the vehicle off the ground.  Now for  the second and most pertinent
example.  The dragster's motor is exerting a  torque along the axis of the
vehicle as well.  If you do a search, you can  probably find a video where a
dragster is doing a 1 wheel wheel-stand.  The  torque the drive wheels exert
on the ground lifts the front up and the torque of  the motor on the motor
mounts wants to flip the car over axially.  You  don't have drive wheels on
the engine stand but you do have axial torques at  play.

An assumption I made but didn't state previously is that the engine stand
uses a pin or clamp to prevent the motor from spinning in relation to the
stand  while you work on it.  If the pin is there and in place, the stand
could  flip over.  If the pin isn't in place and you run the motor, the stand
won't flip but the whole motor will start spinning in the "neck" of the
stand.  Correction .... if there is no pin and the motor's axial center of  mass
is mounted off center to the neck of the stand, the motor will spin in the
neck AND possibly flip the stand as well.  Whatever rig you have to deliver
 fuel to the carbs will whip around and do bad things too.

Motors are bolted to run-in beds and the beds are bolted to concrete
floors for a reason.

Good luck with your motor.

Doc

PS: By any chance, do you have a pic of the stand?

In a message dated 9/24/2015 8:11:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,