<VV> Running an engine without shrouds

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Sep 24 13:28:23 EDT 2015

Just sitting it on the floor, pallet or moving type dolly is fine. No need
for straps. I've never had one move.

Frank DuVal

From: RoboMan91324 at aol.com [mailto:RoboMan91324 at aol.com]

Lastly, I don't know what your test setup looks like.  If you try to run
your motor on an engine stand and give it a hardy goose of the gas, the rig
might want to flip over with resulting disaster to the motor, your knees, a
fender, etc.  When the rotating mass (flywheel, crankshaft, etc.) wants to
accelerate in one direction, the "stationary" mass (block, heads, cylinders,
etc.) wants to turn in the other direction.  You have probably seen a motor
in an engine compartment tilt over when you give it a good shot of gas.  The
only thing keeping the engine from spinning wildly in the engine compartment
are the motor mounts attached to the significant mass of the car.  A motor
on the floor strapped on a pallet is much more stable than one sitting up in
the air on a stand that may be a bit wobbly to begin with.

Be careful,

Doc

In a message dated 9/23/2015 9:02:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request at corvair.org <mailto:virtualvairs-request at corvair.org>

Message: 1