<VV> Break light juice

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:05:06 EST 2016

Let me put to rest everyone's concern that I don't know what the word
"juice" meant in this context.  It is worthy of note that several people
considered the word unclear, pointing another problem in the original post.
I even figured that "rest light was a "test light".  This is in spite of his
first post where "rest light" could have meant "rest of the lights".  No, my
problem was the phrase "do the bulb socket with a ground to the battery
terminal".  Is "do" supposed to be a verb?  Is he asking "Does the bulb
socket ground to the battery terminal."?  If so, he neglected to start a new
sentence and used the wrong verb form.  But it does seem like a reasonable
question.  Maybe his only past electrical work involved a dome light.

Was the word "do" intended as the word "of"?  If so, it required 2
simultaneous typos, invert 2 letters and hit the wrong key at the same time.
If so, he was trying to write "I'm testing at the wire that runs into the
bottom of the bulb socket with a ground to the battery terminal."  By that,
did he mean that he put one end of a jumper wire on one or the other of the
wires to the bottom of the socket and put the other end on a battery
terminal?  Not the best diagnostic technique, but I've seen worse.  I
suppose he was still using the rest light at that point.  I think it is a
pretty safe bet that 99 out of 100 people wouldn't agree on the meaning of
"do the bulb socket with a ground to the battery terminal".  Another problem
with his post was what he didn't mention at all.  He never said whether the
right turn signal worked.  Simply stating that would have split the possible
problem area into two nearly disjoint pieces.

I frequently see comments like your "as long as the two communicators
understood one another".  Unfortunately, they frequently don't understand
each other.  I frequently see ambiguous questions posted on the internet,
open to several interpretations.  I also see plenty of detailed answers that
somebody spent a bunch of time composing.  As often as not, the original
poster came back with a follow up question that revels the person replying
guessed the wrong question and his time was wasted.  It is NOT no harm, on
foul.  That is one of the reasons you don't see a lot of replies from me.  I
try not to waste my time answering the wrong question.

original question.  About half the responses are talking about a problem
with the socket and the others about the turn switch.  If the PO follows up
to let us know if the bulb lights up with the turn signal, we will know
which half of us were wasting our time with a non-applicable response, far
from 99% guessed right.

Jim Becker