<VV> LM DIsc Brake Conversion

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Apr 19 11:17:50 EDT 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Jay Maechtlen via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>
> front /rear balance shouldn't be affected by the master cylinder, since they all (I think?) have the same piston size for both - chambers?

Yes, but the master cylinder may not move enough fluid for the discs, and the overall pedal effort may not be what you want depending on caliper bore size.

> If you go with a disk conversion and one end locks up before the other, you can always put a proportioning valve in the circuit that locks up first.
> They are only $25 or so.

As I recall discs require considerably more line pressure, a proportioning valve is almost a sure bet if you want to get it balanced well.

There are a few variables here, to get brakes that are really right will probably take some research and a little experimentation.

--Bryan