<VV> PG trans

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Wed Aug 23 01:25:32 EDT 2017

Hi Jim,
I was discussing this with a Corvair mechanic in Vacaville I know very
well.   He said that I definitely should suck the fluid out to the full
level and see if that cures the problem as the fluid level is about
1-1/2 inches too high.   That should be an easy fix to test.

He said that I could suck as much of the ATF out as I can get and when I
refill it I should use Ford ATF, not the Dextron III or IV.   He
explained that GM has ATF additives that soften the shifting but that
Ford has additives that make the shifting much firmer and stiffer.   He
had a race car with a PowerGlide and used Ford ATF so that shifting was
a lot more positive and firm.

I will still report what I find for the solution to these PG problems.

Larry