<VV> Wheel nuts

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Dec 1 23:12:29 EST 2017

One problem with LH threads is that most air impacts that I have seen detailed specs on are stronger turning left than they are right.  This usually works out so you can't tighten something so much that it can't get it loose but it doesn't work on LH threads.  They tighten with more torque than they can loosen.
I have very limited experience with LH on one side vehicles a 1980 C800 Ford and a 1997 International 4900.  Neither seemed to be tighter on one side than the other after sitting many years.  They were stupid tight though.  I had to buy a 3/4 impact and run a 3/4" air hose.  It claims 1700 ft lbs at 90 psi and my line pressure runs about 160.  I doubt it is that powerful and I still had to use a torch on the International.  I use anti-seize on them and 450lbs of torque now.
Joel McGregor