<VV> GLEN PRAY CORD EXHAUST 140HP

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Wed Mar 15 19:53:00 EDT 2017

Tim you are opening up a can of worms with the exhaust.   Not sure how stock my exhaust was when I got my Cord.  Looking at the first photo you can see that the pipes came up from the manifolds into the engine compartment.  The two pipes exited the engine compartment on the passenger's side of the engine compartment.  One pipe then took off at an angle down the driver's side while the other shot straight back down the passenger's side.  It looked like maybe the two pipes exited thru the outside exhaust tubes at one time.

The driver's side tailpipe ran between the axle and frame and had been flattened when the axle bottomed out on it.   I figured the last thing the 140 Corvair engine needed was additional heat in the engine compartment in front of the fan intake.   Out came the sawsall and I cut everything from the manifolds back to the passenger's side tailpipe.  The driver's side pipes and mufflers were removed completely.   Second photo is the leftover pipes.

Figuring hooked to the PG the 140 would seldom, if ever see rpms over 3500, so I went for a single exhaust system.   Since the steering linkage takes up the space between the block and bellhousing that is normally used in Corvairs for the exhaust crossover a custom crossover and Y pipe had to be fabricated.  The next photos show what I ended up with.  The passenger's side torsion bar creates another obstacle to clear.

Hope this helps.

Terry