<VV> Will the Corvair Kill You?

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation vairtec at optimum.net
Fri Nov 17 10:58:04 EST 2017

Bob Helt, you confess that you risk sounding like "an old fuddy-duddy,"
but as a card-carrying old fuddy-duddy myself I am here to opine that
"Will the Corvair Kill You?" is a GREAT title!

I say this as someone who has been dealing with print headlines since
1969 and online titles more recently.

Years ago, a proper print headline for this topic might have been "Is
the Corvair Safe, Hagerty Asks," or the even less interesting "Hagerty
Tests the Corvair's Stability."

Today, headline-writing has evolved into online subject-line writing,
and the purpose is no longer to tell what the story is about, but to
entice readers to click on the story.  That's why so many of them are
now phrased as questions ("Is Donald Trump the Child of Space Aliens?")
or the more common (and less intelligent) "You Won't Believe" format
("They Tested Donald Trump's DNA and You Won't Believe What They Found!")

While you can argue correctly that the Corvair has been proven to be
safe, whether we like it or not it is still strongly associated with
"Unsafe."  The Hagerty article and video support the conclusion of
safety, and the "Will the Corvair Kill You?" headline gets people to
read the story.

It's a great headline because it is modern, intriguing, effective -- and
appropriate.

--Bob Marlow