<VV> Early Brakes

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Nov 18 00:43:50 EST 2017

On 11/17/2017 12:02 PM, Hugo Miller via VirtualVairs wrote:
> ### I once owned a modern car with ABS. One day there was a very light
> dusting of snow. The brakes had virtually no effect. Without ABS the
> wheels would have slid a bit & immediately burned through the snow,
> but with ABS the car just kept going like it had no brakes at all.
> Very disconcerting.
> My 1960 Impala has the original non-powered drum brakes, & they work
> just fine, just like my Corvair. Need a bit of pressure if you have to
> stop in a hurry, but if you drive normally they are perfectly adequate.

funny - my first encounter with ABS was in a rental car in the Northeast
somewhere. Coming off an expressway, at the stop there was some snow and
slush.
I felt the ABS do its thing, and came to a nice stop.
When my recently departed Regal was still new to me, I came up on a
stopped vehicle on the freeway, and stood on the brakes.
Without ABS, I would have flat-spotted the tires. As it was, I stopped
in time without any more drama than appropriate.

My "Corvair" tends to lock the fronts up under hard braking, and I've
flat spotted those a bit.
Obviously, ymmv.

The 'dusting of show' is a real interesting thing. Sounds like a toggle
switch in the power circuit for the ABS might be useful in some climates.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal